History & Mission

History

The original Stephen Decatur Rose Society was formed in 1958. The Society along with William N. Andrew started a rose garden in Fairview Park. Some of their Charter member's were Mrs. Clara Boosinger, Mrs. Dorothy Hughes, Charles E. Durbin, and Harold Koslofski. In 1996 the original Society disbanded.

The present Stephen Decatur Rose Society was reformed in 2005. We were chartered on May 12, 2006. The charter members of the new Society were Dan Kiel, Shawnda Walker, Bob & Kris Shake, Ginny Fitzjarrald, George Anna Nipp, and Jim & Kaye Wessbecher. In our few short years our Society has re-established the rose garden in Fairview Park and provided funding to establish a rose trial garden consisting of earth kind roses at Richland Community College.

Our Society is reaching out to all rose growers in central Illinois to help them learn to grow roses and have fun doing it.

Mission Statement

The Stephen Decatur Rose Society, in conjunction with the American Rose Society, will work together to encourage interest in and knowledge of the cultivation and/or exhibition of roses. We will strive to spread the enjoyment of roses in our communities.